marktwain-132x150

Mark Twain House & Museum

Mark Twain House 

As one of the premier destinations of American Literature enthusiasts, the Mark Twain House & Museum is not only dedicated to promoting the legacy of Samuel Clemens (1835-1910), but the many other celebrated authors (and their homes) found throughout New England!  From the serenity of Thoreau’s Walden Pond to the quaint garden estate of Emily Dickenson.

 Readers, history buffs and writers will enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime journey through America’s literary landmarks. All located Between Boston and New York City.

Just a short 45 minute drive from NYC, travelers can begin their literary journey at the Walt Whitman Birthplace in West Hills, NY and over the course of six days (or less for those who are ambitious) visit the birthplace of Mark Twain’s most famous characters, get inspired by Edith Warton’s landscape design, and visit the gravesites of Thoreau, Hawthorne, Emerson and Alcott at Author’s at Sleepy Hollow.

For more information and events that take place every month, please click the link above.

Continue Reading

Restaurant Profile: The Common Man

 The “Can Do” Attitude

 Alex Ray; proprietor of  The Common Man started the flagship location in Ashland, New Hampshire in 1971, that was 40  years ago!

Today, there are 18 members of The Common Man family of restaurants in New Hampshire; 13 of these are known as The Common Man serving a wide variety of creative cuisine from comfort foods to Italian American to American Fare with New England Flair!

The Common Man Serves Lunch and Dinner as well as a bar and grill menu. For Lunch start with appetizers like Bacon Wrapped Shrimp, Rock Crab Cakes  – “Best Crab Cakes” Award by New Hampshire Magazine, sliders, soups and salads, Mid-day favorites, sandwiches and more. Some Dinner favorites are Yankee favorites; like lobster Macaroni and Cheese, Apple Chicken, New England Pot Roast…And then there’s Common Man Specialties like Roast Prime Rib, Filet Mignon, NY Sirloin and From the Coast Selections.

Top that off with a Dessert Menu that includes items that make The Common Man famous like their Uncommon Baked Apple, Strawberry Shortcake, Triple Chocolate Cake plus many other yummy desserts and it’s no wonder this chain of restaurants is such a success!

In 1996, The Common Man Company Store opened in Ashland. They sell a selection of New Hampshire and New England made merchandise and antiques, food and gift baskets, apparel, bags novelty items and more. Plus their location in Plymouth, New Hampshire features an Inn and Spa services and is a destination wedding facility with several options including a greenhouse wedding reception!

The Common Man also gives back to the community in so many ways with so many organizations and events.

Their restaurants are a great place for groups and functions and to celebrate special events.  

Continue Reading
Eric Carle Picture Book Museum

The Eric Carle Picture Museum of Picture Book Art

Inspiring Children & Families Through Appreciating and Understanding The Art of Picture Books!

Together with his wife Barbara, Eric Carle the renowned author and illustrator of more than 70 books including the 1969 classic  “The Very Hungry Caterpillar”  founded The Eric Carle Picture Museum of Picture Book as the first full-scale museum in the country devoted to national and international picture book art.

The museum’s 400,000 square foot building houses three Galleries dedicated to rotating exhibits of picture book art from around the world. Please see their website for events. This sounds like great family fun for the whole family!

 

Continue Reading
Chatam MA Lighthouse Beach

History of Chatham, Massachusetts

Native American tribes who lived in the area before European colonization include the Nauset, specifically the Monomoy or Monomoy people. “Manamyik” was a Nauset Village located near present Chatham.  Explorer Samuel de Champlain landed here in 1606.

50 years later in 1656 when the first English settler ran his cart down the ancient Indian pathway with an intention on living there. Englishman William Nickerson struck a deal for 4 square miles of land with the Monomoyik sachem, Mattaquson. He paid a shallop, ten coats, six kettles, twelve axes, twelve hoes, twelve knives, forty shillings in wampum, a hat and twelve shillings in coins. The transaction took place but without the approval of Plymouth County officials and was disputed for 16 years until paying an additional 90 pounds to the court.

Most of the early settlers were farmers cultivating crops a s corn, rye, wheat, tobacco. Corn was introduced by the Monomick natives was the principal crop.  Godfrey Mill built in 1797, ground corn through 1929. If you stand at the head of Chase Park you can still see one of the last visible reminders of how important farming was to the first people of Chatham.

English settlers first settled in Chatham in 1665 and the town was incorporated in 1712, naming it after Chatham, Kent, England.  Located on the elbow of Cape Cod the community became a shipping, fishing and whaling center.  Chatham’s early prosperity would leave it with a considerable number of 18th Century buildings whose charm helped develop it into a popular summer resort area.

By the 1700’s, Chatham’s population grew. Corn was no longer a sustainable currency. Chatham along with Harwich and Barnstable dominated the Cape’s fishing industry with Cod, Mackerel and Halibut from the Grand Banks. Just as townspeople were throwing themselves into the fishing industry the Revolutionary War erupted. With Chatham’s position as being the easternmost land in the United States made her waters particular appetizing for the British raids and harassment. The economy of Chatham came to a virtual standstill.

Monomoy Island

 Chatham is home to the Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge located on Monomoy Island. Established in 1944 to provide habitat for migratory birds. Today, there are over 285 spices of birds. Taken over by the US Government just before World War II.  The island was home to the Monomoy Island Gunery Range. This 8 mile split of sand extends southwest from Chatham’s mainland  and is perhaps one of the best reasons to visit the elbow of Cape Cod. In addition to the 2 islands known as North and South Monomoy. A 40 acre unit on Morris Island is part of the 40 acre refuge. The total area of the refuge is 7604 acres.

Despite the remoteness of Monomoy it was home to its own community as early as 1710. A tavern for sailors was opened up in the location of today’s Hospital Pond, known as Wreck  Cove.  During the 1800’s a sizable fishing settlement grew in what was known as Powder Hall.  About 200 residents lived on the island and it house Public School #13 which boasted about 16 students.  Cod and Mackerel were dried and shipped to Boston and New York and Lobsters were plentiful and sold to the mainlander’s for about  2 cents a piece. The village was abandoned after its harbor was washed away by the hurricane of 1860

Chatham Twin Lighthouse’s
Established by President Thomas Jefferson in 1808 to protect the ships circling the Cape.  It originally consisted of two lights. The pair were moved back and rebuilt in 1877.  The second was moved to Eastham to become Nauset Light in 1923. Today the innkeepers house is home to a Coast Guard Station.

Boat Tours For boating activities check out Beachcomber a 1 1/2 hour Seal tour along beautiful Chatham Harbor between North Beach and Chatham Light and the break. They also feature cruises for family get-together, weddings, events and group charters.  Tours start in July. Outermost Harbor Marine features water taxis and visits to pristine barrier beaches and island wonders.  The Monomoy Island Ferry aboard the Rip Ryder is the closest boat to seals since 1989. They feature daily trips for seal cruises, walking tours, fishing and birding.

Chatham Railroad

 On November 22, 1887, the railroad made its  first run. Prior to the railroads travel was only possible to the Cape by boat, cart or stagecoach. With comfortable travel now available the richest families in Boston and New York started vacationing and began purchasing their own Summer homes.  In 1937, the coming of bus lines closed the railroad. The main station stood abandoned until 1951 when it was donated to the town to be maintained as a public museum. The Museum is opened from June 15 – September 18th.

Continue Reading

Public Market House- Portland Maine

Portland’s Downtown Public Market Tradition

 The  Public Market House provides an inner-city outlet for Maine food producers in the heart of Maine’s largest population center. The New Public Market provides the people of Portland with an alternative shopping experience in which customers can purchase foods and other goods from small, local owner-operated businesses and even from the farmer himself. Tables at Monument Square are also available.

You can find fine cheeses, gourmet foods, specialty beverages, a fine selection of wines and beer from Maine Beer, Big Sky Bread, cookies and pastries, Market House Coffee and many other vendors.

Open Monday – Saturday, 10am- 7pm and Sunday, 10am – 5pm.

Continue Reading
Chatham Bars Inn

Chatham, Massachusetts

Chatham

 Chatham features 8 area beaches, bird watching, biking, fishing, galleries, golf, hiking, kayaking,  museums, seal cruises, shopping and more. There are more than 15 area restaurants, 11 Inns and 9 B&B’s; as well as rental homes, cottages and condos for longer accommodations.  Check the Chatham Lodging Association for lodging information as well as  The Chatham Chamber of Commerce  for more things to do in the area.

 Main Street 

Today, Chatham is home to numerous family owned shops, restaurants and businesses. During the Summer concerts are held at the gazebo on Main Street. The great thing about traveling is you get to visit some of the most unique shops each area has to offer.  In Chatham,  Yankee Ingenuity a Gallery Gift shop The Mayflower Shop another unique gift shop and Chatham Pottery are just some of the shops that are a must stop!

We also must say that Chatham is the home to one Cape Cod’s best photographers Christopher Seufert   You must check out his work or even speak with him about your family portraits or wedding photographs.

Chatham holds some of the best preserved historic homes and buildings winning the “2007 Distinctive Destinations Award” by The National Historic Trust for Historic Preservation.

Chatham Anglers

 The Chatham A’s or Anglers, Chatham’s own baseball team. They have appeared in the CCBL playoffs 30 times since 1963! Veterans Field in Chatham has been home to the team since the inception of the Cape Cod Baseball League in 1923.  This years season games are June 10th – August 3rd.

Chatham Bars Inn

 

Known for New England’s Finest Oceanfront Luxury Resort & Spa.  Known for its views and service and fine dining is also known as a destination wedding location and for its spa services. This inn has a history dating back to 1912.

Continue Reading

Diana- The People’s Princess

Collection of Original Royal Gowns Comes to New Hampshire

As the world buzzes about the royal wedding of Princess Diana’s son Prince William, a unique collection of 14 of the Princess’ gowns, stories and videos celebrating her life will make a final stop in Plymouth, New Hampshire before being divided and sold at auction!

The World Class exhibition “Diana – The People’s Princess” will be featured for a limited engagement at “The Common Man Family’s – Flying Monkey Movie House and Performance  Center in Plymouth from Monday April 25th – Sunday, May 8th, 10am – 7 pm. For more information and tickets visit The Flying Monkey Movie House for details.

This is a unique opportunity and a “Must Attend” event which includes the largest private collection of Princess Diana’s gowns in the world, and is the last time they will be shown together in the United States!

Don’t miss this exclusive opportunity and a part of history!

For more information and tickets to this event click the above highlighted link!

Continue Reading

History of Rockport, Massachusetts

North of Boston

 CAPE ANN
Before the coming of the English explorers and colonists, Cape Ann was home to a number of Native American villages inhabited by members of the “Agawam Tribe”.  Samuel De Champlain named the peninsula “Cap Aux Isles” in 1605. By the time European explorers found a permanent settlement in Gloucester in 1623; most of the Agawams had been killed by diseases caught from the early contacts with Europeans.  It is rumored the Vikings had been the first white man in the area as well.

The area that is now Rockport was an inhabited part of Gloucester for more than 100 years and was primarily used as a source for timber; especially pine for ship building.  The area around Cape Ann was one of the best fishing grounds in New England. In 1743 a dock was built at Rockport Harbor on Sandy Bay and was used for both timber and fishing. In the beginning of the 19th century the first granite quarries were developed and by the 1830’s Rockport Granite was being shipped to cities and towns throughout the East Coast. The demand for granite decreased with the increasing use of concrete during the Great Depression.

Rockport had consisted primarily of large estates, summer homes and a small fishing village. It was set off as a separate town from Gloucester in 1840 as residents desired a separate  enclave with its own identity.


Rockport still thrives as an artists colony which began years earlier due to its rocky boulder-strewn ocean beaches, quaint fishing shacks and a  harbor filled with small colorful fishing boats. In 1897, Rudyard Kipling’s novel “Captain Courageous” also made the area famous.

 MOTIF Number 1  one of the most famous sites by painters and then photographers  was named by Lester Hornby, an illustrator and etcher who taught in Paris, France in Winters and drew certain standard subjects or motifs. In 1933 the Rockport American Legion Post No 98 built a 27′ scale model  of  “Motif No 1” for the legion parade which was held in Chicago and site of th 1933 World’s Fair.  Designed by Aldro Hibbard and Anthony Thieme with participation by the RAA, Board of trade and townspeople. The float was commissioned in June and completed by the end of September and driven in daylight only from Rockport to Chicago in less than a week.  On October 3, 1933 among 200 floats it won 1st Place. Upon the floats return to Rockport’s crowd of over 4,000 lined up and down Great Hall (5 corners) to welcome the float home!  Rockport’s Revolt Against Rum

In the Summer of 1856 a group of 200 women led by Hannah Jumper swept through the town and destroyed anything containing alcohol in what is called “Rockports Revolt Against Rum” and banned alcohol from the town. Using Hatchets they began their raid and in the words of eyewitness Ebenezer Pool “on finding and keg, jug or cask having spirituous liquor in it…with their hatchets broke or otherwise destroyed it”.

Fishing was a mainstay of Rockport. However, the weather only permitted fishing 9 months of the year. Instead of finding other employment the men idled away their time and consumed enormous amounts of liquor. Year after year, the economic deprivation caused by those periods of inactivity worsened the money spent on spirits. The women of the town grew increasingly frustrated. Finally in 1856, with the rise of the temperance movement and early rumblings of Womens Rights…the women of Rockport met secretly to plot their historic raid!

 

Continue Reading

Restaurant Profile: Jerry Remy’s Sports Bar & Grill

Welcome Sports Fans!

Located across the street from Fenway Park is Jerry Remy’s Sports Bar & Grill  Known for their “comfort food” made fresh daily they  serve Lunch and Dinner 7 days a week.  From Appetizers, Sandwiches, Burgers, Salads, Daily Specials  and more. Signature dishes include House Smoked BBQ Ribs and the REMY Burger served on fried dough.  There is also an extensive wine list and beer selection including your local favorites.

“Welcome To Where There’s Never An Away Game” on The Screen Monsters. At Jerry Remy’s your audio/visual game experience is UNRIVALED!  Two HUGE 132 x 72″ projection screens and twenty 60″ screens.  Sit at the 34 seat bar or see the game from anywhere in the house. If you want a more intimate place to dine another dining room has quieter dining.

See The Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruin games like you’ve never seen them before! Ask About their SEASON TICKET PROGRAM – this pass is good during all games at the restaurant.  The Restaurant is also available for private events and does catering.

Jerry Remy has been associated with the RED SOX and FENWAY PARK for over 30 years. He was a second baseman in the 70’s & 80’s and a RED SOX Broadcaster for 20 years; as well as the current President of RED SOX NATION.  He brings his baseball knowledge and sense of humor into living rooms all across America!

 

Run Across Home Plate at Fenway Park is an event on May 22nd to help wounded Veterans.  Advanced registration is required. For more info click on www.RunToHomeBase.Org

You can also follow the Remy Report  for all the inside info only the way the RemDawg Nation can bring it.

Continue Reading

37th Annual Nantucket Daffodil Festival Weekend

Daffy Days

3 Million Daffodils! Decorating Contest, Antique Car Parade, Hat Pageant, Daffy Dog Parade, Tailgate Picnic, Flower Show and More!  Event is April 29th – May 1st, 2011.  Make Your plans to attend Now!  Presented by The Nantucket Chamber of Commerce

Continue Reading